Pages

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Halfway Done Already?!

Halfway point! Wow! It is hard to imagine half of teacher training is over, I feel like I just got here. It has really been an amazing experience so far. Highs and lows for sure, good and bad, fun and not so fun...but all great learning experiences and opportunities for me to grow. I'm really trying to take each experience and improve myself. (And I think it's working!)

My roomie and I were talking a few days ago about how going back home will be kind of a culture shock all over again. We have really been spoiled here, only having to take care of ourselves and even in that task, most of the days events are planned and we just have to show up. Going home after 9 weeks, back to responsibilities, family, friends, work, my cat....it will be a big change from my life in the yoga bubble.

But back to the here and now. Body is feeling the effects of doing yoga twice a day, every day. Legs are sore, sciatic nerve is P-I-S-S-E-D O-F-F. Muscles I never knew I used much are feeling tight and knotted up. My postures are getting worse and it is harder to stay in postures, mostly because, well, my sciatic nerve is  P-I-S-S-E-D O-F-F. We did learn in Anatomy that the issues we are feeling because of the sciatic nerve aren't really things wrong with the nerve but more the muscles are pressing against the nerve, making it signal the brain to feel pain. Nice right?

The other day it was so bad I had some pain in my side hip, more under my butt and when I pressed on it, a shooting pain went all the way down my leg to my toes! WOW! For those of you that don't know, the sciatic nerve goes all the way down the leg.

So I've been using the foam roller I bought when I got here, such a life saver! It isn't really fixing the issue, that probably will require rest and no stretching, but it is helping and certainly does wonders for knotted up muscles.

I'm also getting fat. Not really. I'm um, retaining water. Yea, that's it. Or the other thing I hear around here... "you are gaining muscle and it is pushing the fat out, so you just LOOK fatter." Whatever right? All I know is my jeans don't fit and I keep thinking of all the clothes I have at home that won't fit when I get back.

My roomie had to buy a tape measure so I borrowed it and took my measurements. Not going to share here but lets just say it was um, uh, not good. I am sure the cake, gummie bears, marinated artichoke hearts, fried rice, gum drops, yogurt covered pretzels and the other "yummy" things I've been eating aren't helping. One would think practicing yoga for over 3 hours a day would give you a pass so you could eat what you want but that is NOT the case....apparently. So, new regiment, right after I finish the bag of gum drops, is to eat better. LOL For those of you that really know me, you know that isn't going to happen. Heck, my training at home should just be glad I haven't had a latte every day with a friggin pastry!

Aside from body hurting and getting plumper, things are FANTASTIC!

1 comment:

  1. Now you understand what I felt while preggo. ugh! Feel better and enjoy the second half!

    ReplyDelete

I encourage comments but please be respectful! Any inappropriate comments will be deleted. Thank you, Namaste.

New Bag Styles