Pages

Friday, August 13, 2010

I recommend 'Eat Pray Love' to girls for sure and maybe a few boys

I went and saw 'Eat Pray Love' yesterday at a preview event. I'm no movie critic so don't keep reading thinking this will be some eloquently written piece about cinematography, depth of plot line, etc. I'm just a girl that got to go see a movie for free. I loved it by the way. I would recommend it to any girl and even a few guys.

I haven't read the book yet, I plan on going and getting that today. I know, that is backwards. I should have read the book first. Honestly though, I hadn't planned on seeing the movie in the theater. I think the last movie I saw in a theater was some time last year. But the opportunity to go see 'Eat Pray Love' came up and who can miss a free movie?

The preview event was at Studio Movie Grill where you order real food and get to sit in more comfortable chairs than the standard movie theater, and there isn't anyone kicking the back of your chair. I ate pizza which was just so appropriate for the movie it wasn't even funny. I'm pretty sure I don't have a muffin top though. I will check today when I go to Bikram Yoga class, even if I do, according to the movie I shouldn't care, and Liz is right, I've never had a guy tell me to leave the room after seeing me naked. (Go see the movie to understand all that.)

I personally thought the movie was well done. My friend that went has read the book and she said it was pretty close to the book; unlike the 'Shopaholic' movie which to me was nothing like the book...and I have read ALL of the Shopoholic books. (As my other friend said when I pointed this fact out yesterday..."you are so cultured Carolyn, tell us more about these books!" LOL)

The movie at times made me wish I had kept my job for another year, saved my money and traveled instead of going to yoga training, or maybe traveled, then gone to yoga training. On the flip side, I know for a fact I wouldn't be in mindset I am in today if I hadn't left the corporate world and searched for a better me through my love for yoga and sharing it with others.

There were some parts of the movie that hit close to home, the search for love, losing yourself when you meet someone else, the eternal search to figure out how to love yourself - to forgive yourself. At one point Liz goes up to the rooftop with Richard, he is about to explain his pain and his vulnerabilities and as she comes out of the doorway, there is a cut out figure of Lord Krishna from Mahabharata, which we watched late into the night at teacher training. I smiled. It felt like home to see Lord Krishna up on the screen. I so wanted to pack up my things right them and go to India.

That to me is a sign of a good movie, when it evokes strong emotion in me, when it makes me think or want to act upon something. I'm not sure I will be packing up anytime soon to go to India to meditate and find myself but maybe I will at least work on finding myself right where I am. 

If you go see the movie, tell me what you think about it!
 

1 comment:

  1. I read the book and loved it. Not sure about seeing the movie yet. Glad you enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete

I encourage comments but please be respectful! Any inappropriate comments will be deleted. Thank you, Namaste.

New Bag Styles