Pages

Monday, December 28, 2009

My Yoga Practice is Still Growing

Every once in a while something happens that reminds me I still need yoga, and daily! Today was one of those days. I made it through most of the class very focused, then in stretching I grabbed my toes and noticed one of my toe nails was cracked. I obsessed  the rest of class. Granted there was just one more stretching and spine twist but in my head it seemed like an eternity!

And why? A reasonable question. For starters, I was trying to think of what I did to crack the nail. Then I wanted to feel it and make sure it was really cracked and broken…I mean, maybe the polish was just chipping off. Then I remembered class had several teachers and I had decided to set myself right next to the podium…not the best situation to lose focus and obsess over a toe nail!

And then of course, there was the thought of blogging about it!

By the time I got home, I had forgotten about the nail, making it even more ridiculous that I would allow such a minor thing steal my focus. But isn't that the way things are outside of yoga? We let the little things take over our minds and we obsess over them or allow them to be the focus when really they are not that important at all.

I do better staying focused and not letting the little things distract me since I started yoga but I still need a lot of work. It’s a daily task and yoga is just part of completing that task. Ninety minutes in a room, focusing just on me…and trying to not think of anything but me and the posture at the moment is hard but certainly doable. Life is something else.

Tomorrow I will go back and see if I can get through all of class without worrying about my toes, the birds or anything else that might allow me to procrastinate the task at hand for one that is less important but way more fun to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I encourage comments but please be respectful! Any inappropriate comments will be deleted. Thank you, Namaste.

New Bag Styles