Balancing series in Bikram Yoga Improves Flexibility, Circulation, Strength and Balance.
Standing Bow Pulling Pose, or Dandayamana-Dhanurasana, is the second posture in the Bikram Yoga balancing series. I see why it gets the name too, when done to the extreme, the body really does look like a bow.
Every posture in the Bikram Yoga series has medical benefits and this one is no exception. It is wonderful for increasing the circulation to the heart and lungs and improves a number of things in the body. If you haven’t tried Bikram Yoga or this posture in other yoga, you are really missing out on some great health benefits.
- Stand with your feet together.
- Hold your hand out, palm up, reach behind you and grab your ankle.
- Raise your other arm straight in the air.
- Stretch up and then forward while stretching your leg upwards.
- Your standing leg knee should be locked.
Things to remember:
- If you start to fall, stretch your leg upward more.
- Your upper body and arm should be in alignment.
- Chin should be on shoulder.
- Upper body should be parallel to the floor.
- As long as you try the posture the correct way, you are getting the benefit.
- Increases circulation to the heart and lungs
- Improves elasticity of the spine
- Creates marriage between strength and balance
- Activates digestive system
My pose from my first competition, not quite as good as Joseph, photo above
Click here to get more information on Bikram Yoga poses.
Photo courtesy of Bikram Yoga Dallas