Pages

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Stewed okra using fresh okra and tomatoes, yum!

I'm staying with my brother and sister-in-law for a few days and they have a beautiful garden full of cucumbers, tomato, okra, corn, pumpkin, beans and cantaloupe. The okra are particularly prolific. I had cut off about 4 or 5 in the morning and by dinner time there were 4 or 5 more to cut off. We had a bounty of okra an a few tomatoes; a dinner plan was forming.

I found a recipe for stewed okra using fresh okra and canned diced tomatoes on the blog, Fat Free Vegan Kitchen. Since we had fresh tomatoes that needed to be used, I cooked them for about 15-20 minutes, added a little water and spices and let the tomatoes cook down. Here is a picture of the stewed tomatoes.



Here is what the okra looked like fresh.

Fresh okra cut and ready to cook
I added the okra to the sauteed onions and cooked them for a few minutes. It was amazing, the RED okra turned GREEN! It was like magic, first they were red and then they slowing turned a typical okra green.

Okra uncooked

Okra after it has been cooking for a few minutes



 Once the okra was cooked I added the stewed tomatoes and cooked a little longer. And there you have it, stewed okra with fresh okra and fresh tomatoes. We decided to use up some pasta too and just threw it all together, results below.




Stewed okra and pasta


No comments:

Post a Comment

I encourage comments but please be respectful! Any inappropriate comments will be deleted. Thank you, Namaste.

New Bag Styles